25 Questions to Ask an Architect
Hiring an architect is a big decision and will impact the process of building or renovating your dream home. Working with collaborative architects who listen to understand your unique needs will help ensure that your home becomes a reflection of your personality and that it becomes a space that works seamlessly with how you live. We encourage you to sit down and interview our team of architects and provide this list provided by the American Institute of Architects to get the conversation started.
- What is your design philosophy?
- What sets your firm apart from other architects with similar experience?
- Do you have experience with the building type and size of my project?
- Will you share with me a portfolio of similar projects and provide a list of client references?
- Who from the firm will I be working with on a regular basis? Is this the person who will design my project?
- Are you interested enough in this project to make it a priority?
- What challenges do you foresee for my project?
- What do you see as the important issues or considerations in my project?
- What is your estimated timetable for my project?
- What means will you use to collect information about my needs, goals, etc.?
- How will you help me to fully understand the scope and sequence of the project? Will you utilize models, drawings, or computer animation?
PROCESS & DESIGN
- What are the steps in the design process, and how are they organized?
- What criteria will be used to establish priorities and make design decisions?
- What do you expect me to provide?
- How disruptive will construction be?
- What role do you have during construction? Am I expected to work with the contractor directly?
- Do you have experience with “green” or sustainable design?
- Do you regularly integrate low or no cost sustainable design strategies into projects?
- Considering the many areas that may be affected by sustainable design, how will you determine which options to pursue?
- If sustainable design technologies are implemented, do upfront costs exist that may affect the construction budget?
- What are the expected payback times?
- How do you establish fees?
- In anticipation of a formal proposal with costs, what would you expect your fee to be for this project?
- What is included in your basic services and what services would incur additional fees?
- If the scope of the project changes later in the project, will there be additional fees? How will these fees be justified? How will this be communicated to me?
- What is your track record of completing a project within the original budget?
Originally published by AIA.org